The debilitating effects of a stroke may be dramatically lessened if the stroke is caught within three hours of onset. Three types of medication are available that may significantly improve the chances of recovery and lessen the time spent in stroke rehabilitation. Moving Forward Rehabilitation, located in Lady Lake, Florida, is a leader in helping stroke victims regain their function and mobility.
Recognizing the early signs of a stroke and quickly acting on them are vital to the success of stroke rehabilitation. The acronym F.A.S.T. is an excellent reminder of the early symptoms of a stroke and it is a guideline to check the face, arms, and speech and to act with haste. Check the following:
- Can the person smile normally or is the face sagging on one side?
- Is it difficult for the person to elevate both arms evenly?
- Are the individual’s words slurred or garbled or can an easy sentence be stated with clarity?
Call 9-1-1 at once if any of these indicators are present.
Additional symptoms can include:
- Dizziness, lack of coordination, or balance and/or difficulty in walking
- Sudden migraine-like headache with no underlying trigger
- Confusion or lack of comprehension
- Blurred, darkened, or distorted vision in one or both eyes
- Sudden declension of strength or sensation one side or in one or more limbs
Anyone observing these signs of a stroke or TIA should not delay in calling 9-1-1. A few minutes can make the difference between a complete recovery and a partial recovery.
A transient ischemic attack, or TIA, is a mini-stroke and can exhibit the same symptoms as a stroke. In addition, those who experience one or more TIA’s are at an increased risk of having a major stroke.
Our local Lady Lake rehabilitation center is a premier provider of physical therapy for stroke victims and others in need of physical rehabilitation, including neurological injuries, degenerative bone diseases, orthopedic and sports medicine, and others. For those in the Lady Lake, Florida area, the Moving Forward Rehabilitation Center provides the best physical therapy and rehabilitation in the area. Call them today at 352-751-3781 to schedule your physical therapy appointment.